Monday, December 18, 2023

BUIDL'n positions with DOUBLE-leveraging

Growing an asset with ... wait for it:

DOUBLE leverage using minted $USK from @TeamKujira BLUE then @Levana_protocol.

What am I talking about, and how does this work?

First of all, @Levana_protocol has oodles of crypto that you can leverage using (real) $USDC as collateral.



For this example, I'm going to demonstrate with $DOT (actually $axlDOT), but you can use any token that mints $USK on @TeamKujira BLUE.

What's the plan?

  1. I mint $USK with $DOT
  2. I swap to $USDC on FIN
  3. I IBC the $USDC to @osmosiszone via @noble_xyz
  4. I supply 50% of the $USDC to the DOT/USDC LP on @Levana_protocol
  5. The other 50% of the $USDC I take (or reinforce) a pair of leveraged $DOT positions (LONG and SHORT).
    That's the setup to establish a pair of leveraged $DOT positions on @Levana_protocol, funded with $USDC.

    Then, I wait and let the markets do their THANG!
    • markets go up, I close the long, I take the profit, transfer that back to @TeamKujira and (slowly but surely) burn the $USK-mint.
    • markets go down, vice versa (close the short, that is, and profit that way).
    Now, what do I do after I close the leveraged position? and why do I only start with half the liquidity in the leveraged positions?

    I'll explain both. FIRST, let's walk through what we've already covered, step-by-step, THEN go into my "how to make money with leverage"-strategy.

    1. Mint $USK with X on @TeamKujira BLUE.


    For this example, my X is $DOT. I mint 200 $USK from 100 $DOT.
    1. Buy (real) $USDC with $USK on @TeamKujira FIN



    Why? Because @Levana_protocol uses (real) $USDC as collateral, not $USK, sadly.

    ... huh. Leveraged $USK perpetuals, anyone?

    ANYWAY!

    tip: this order book is easy to find when you select the 'USDC'-tab on FIN.



    I 'zone-hop' the $USDC from @TeamKujira to @osmosiszone via @noble_xyz using IBC.



    Why? I could bridge using @squidrouter or Satellite, but the IBC zone-hops are commission-free, and those bridges are using IBC anyway.

    Why pay someone else to do something you can do for free?

    4. I supply half the $USDC liquidity to the DOT/USDC LP on @Levana_protocol 



    Why? One good reason is that it's paying 100% APR.

    But that's not why I do this.

    Why I do this has to do with my approach to BUIDL'n a 'reasonable' spread of $DOT leveraged positions.

    Let me explain.

    But before I explain, let's have a working example.

    With the remaining $USDC liquidity, I place both a 5xLONG and 5xSHORT for $DOT on @Levana_protocol. 



    These positions are around $6.7-per.

    Is this a reasonable spot for $DOT?

    Kinda yes.

    But I'll let my strategy guide me.

    Finally, we get to my current approach with leveraged trading that works particularly well on @Levana_protocol, as they allow you to have multiple long and short positions open at the same time (unlike @GMX_IO).

    So I have (only)

    5xLONG at $6.7; 50 $USDC
    5xSHORT at $6.7; 50 $USDC

    Attenuating the Extremes


    Let's say $DOT goes to $7.  I close the long.

    I send the profit back to @TeamKujira to burn the $USK.

    Now: I open

    5xLONG at $7; 12.5 $USDC
    5xSHORT at $7; 37.5 $USDC

    WHAAA??? am I doing here?!?!

    My philosophy is centrist-...ish with leveraged trading.

    I EMPHASIZE the center, so when I open positions at the zenith or nadir, I DEEMPHASIZE those peaks.

    My positions are now 

    5xLONG at $7; 12.5 $USDC
    5xSHORT at $7; 37.5 $USDC
    5xSHORT at $6.7; 50 $USDC

    What if $DOT goes up forever?

    I keep attenuating the zenith, and I eventually lose my bottom short.

    You CAN place a stop-loss if you hate the idea of losing that entirely. I hate the idea of quitting a perpetual that would catch a snap-down in price, more.

    You do you.

    Can $DOT go up 'forever'? SURE CAN!

    But that's why I pick crypto I have a pretty good feel for. I mean: $AVAX is my go-to, but even it surprised me by rocketing up from, what? $18-per to the mid-$40s?

    There're no sure things here folks, and leverage is RISKY!

    But that's why I'm picking $DOT. It was at $4-per for FOREVER! And it has a pacing I have an okay-feel for.

    So, I'm thinking $6.7-per is highish.

    Let's say $DOT's price settles to $6-per, allowing me to close both 5xSHORT at $7 and $6.7.

    I send the profits to @TeamKujira.

    With $DOT at $6, we're at the (local) nadir now, but I also have $87.5 to invest. I open

    5xSHORT @ $6; 21.875 $USDC
    5xLONG @ $6; 65.625 $USDC

    Still not touching the liquidity in the LP.

    Can $DOT keep going down forever? SURE! And I'll keep attenuating, losing the 12.5 5xLONG.

    Note the last statement.

    I STARTED with 5xLONG for 50 $USDC and 5xSHORT for 50 $USDC, but the liquidation hit me only at 12.5 $USDC, because I attenuate the extremes.

    Does attenuation always work with leverage? HELLZ NAH!

    NOTHING ALWAYS works with leverage.

    BRING THE PAIN! 😀

    BUT!

    Has this attenuation of the extremes and emphasizing the middle worked for me?

    Recently, yes.




    I'm continuing this approach. Please note that this is a work in progress and not tested under all market conditions, so I'll adjust as I learn.

    I recommend you do the same.

    Okay, I've shown you attenuating the extremes.

    Now let's show emphasizing the middle.

    Emphasizing the Middle

    $DOT price goes up to $6.2, I close the 5xLONG at $6 for 65.625 $USDC, I re-place that LONG and add a SHORT.

    My positions are now:

    5xSHORT @ $6; 21.875
    5xSHORT @ $6.2; 16.406
    5xLONG @ $6.2; 49.219
    5xLONG at $7; 12.5

    Note how the middle is ALREADY emphasized!

    Let's say $DOT goes to $6.5. I close the 5xLONG at $6.2 for $49.219 BUT NOW I'M IN THE MIDDLE!

    I WITHDRAW 50 $USDC from the LP.


    Why do I withdraw $USDC from the DOT/USDC LP?

    Because I've 'discovered' a local $DOT middle for my leveraged positions.

    Now it's time for me to emphasize that middle.

    I place both a 5xLONG and 5xSHORT on $DOT @ $6.5 for ~50 $USDC each.

    My $DOT leveraged positions are now as follows:

    5xSHORT @ $6; 21.875
    5xSHORT @ $6.2; 16.406
    5xSHORT @ 6.5; 50
    5xLONG @ 6.5; 50
    5xLONG at $7; 12.5

    And with $DOT now at $6.5-per, whichever way the markets go, I make money.

    CAN this be wiped out by a rug or a rocket? Sure.

    But WILL my positions be wiped out?

    ... sure?

    But $DOT, as a crypto, is pretty big now. I'm leveraging $DOT because I've got a feel for its price-movements, so, given the above setup (PT), it feels like I will have created a $DOT πŸ’ΈπŸ–¨️.

    Now, I've only just started this $DOT leveraged approach, so 1) I'm not there yet, and 2) $DOT is no $AVAX (some of you are saying: "THANK GOD!"), so is 5x-leverage enough? Or do I need to go 10x to make this thing work? I'm at day 1, so time will tell.

    Goals

    Let's say I DO create a $DOT πŸ’ΈπŸ–¨️.

    WAT DO?

    My immediate goals are:

    1. Burn the $USK borrow, so my $DOT πŸ’ΈπŸ–¨️ is FO' FREE!
    2. Use the profits to buy more $DOT to mint another 200 $USK and BUIDL!

    THEN I'll take a step back and start directing funds.

    Long-term goal is to have crypto pay for everything: medical, food, mortgage, my daughters' college.

    To do that, I've got to offramp $1,000/day. That's what I'm making in my job IRL.

    That is: offramp $1,000/day AND GROW my crypto principal.

    There's this thing called inflation.

    DO I see this long-term goal as possible, at all?

    Yes.

    AND!

    After I pay off my borrows, and generate $1,000/day, consistently, I'll not only see it, I'll be living it.

    I'll keep you posted, folks.

    I love you. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment